Summer is here and not only does the temperature start to heat up but so do our schedules. Our priorities shift from structure to leisure and exercise can sometimes take a back seat (right next to the cooler and beach bags). Summer workouts need to be efficient and be able to be done anywhere and my Love Your Legs Workout is just that! When trying to burn calories, its important to get your large muscle groups burning. Using all of your leg muscles and a majority of of your core, this workout will get them fired up. Ideally, 3 rounds with a short break (or even a short jump rope session for serious calorie burn) would provide the best workout. HOWEVER, one of my top rules for exercise is anything is better than nothing! So if you only have time for 1 round, high five!!
Please remember that form is far more important than speed or reps. Here are some reminders:
- Stand up tall and suck your belly button to your spine throughout the whole workout, while still maintaining normal deep breaths.
- Weight should never shift onto your toes in squats or lunges.
- Land nice and soft on the jumping Squat Jacks - You should land like a ninja, very quietly.
- Progress slowly. Start with 1 round without any weights. If that feels good, work your way up to 3 rounds. Once your able to do 3 rounds, add light weights. And so on and so forth.
- Modify when needed. If a couple of these moves are particularly tough, scale them back a bit by not going as low into the lunge (don't take a smaller step - keep the knees from traveling forward), don't kick so high on the Birdfeeder Kicks or don't kick at all, if 25 is too many, start with 10. Just start somewhere and build :)
Stay tuned for a Summer Cardio Challenge that works great with the Love Your Legs Workout. Until then... Happy Summer!!