Something isn't quite working out in the fitness in industry, pun intended! Why is it that people don't start working towards fitness goals because they don't know where to start? Why is it that social media leads people to think that you have to be ripped in order to enter a gym? Why is it that new clients are hesitant to get started due to a fear of what's to come?
With nearly 70% of the US adult population suffering from being overweight or obese, something isn't quite clicking. While the numbers seem to be stabilizing, the rates are still through the roof (www.stateofobesity.org). Although changes need to happen in the industry as a whole, I'm not going to wait for them!!
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND
If you have been thinking about starting a new fitness program or have tried but got lost in the confusion of what to eat, what not to eat, how to exercise, how long to exercise, or what order to do all of the thousands of exercises that you see in magazines, websites, YouTube, or Instagram, let's just stop the madness right now.
Here is what I want you to focus on - KEEP IT SIMPLE!
- Drink water all day long - Don't go overboard but make sure you always have access. If you have water on hand you will drink it instead of other calorie filled beverages and you will stay hydrated while drinking your morning coffee.
- Eat 5 Meals A Day - By spreading your meals throughout your day you keep your metabolism burning and burn more calories. Even if you eat the same foods you will burn more calories. Its a no brainer. Easiest trick is to split your lunch into 2 portions and pack a snack. Voila, you now have 5 Meals!!
- Eat Real Food - Look at ingredient lists and put down food that has a list a mile long. Fill your body with natural things that it knows how to digest and stay away from stuff that needs artificial flavors and colors, gross. I understand that sometimes you will have to stray from the real food road, but slowly try to make your diet consist of as much natural, local food as possible.
- Move Everyday - I have said it before and I will say it over and over again, I DONT CARE WHAT YOU DO JUST DO SOMETHING!! Walk your dog, walk up and down your stairs 3 times before getting ready for work, get on your pogo stick (my dad gave my brother one for Christmas when we were kids and if this is your choice of exercise I congratulate you, it is no joke), do the 3 yoga poses you remember from your last class, anything. Everyday you are consuming calories and quite frequently consuming more than necessary so why not make sure you burn extra each day. Aim for at least 15 minutes per day. As 15 minutes becomes easy move up to 20, 25, 30 .....
- Don't Be Scared of the Gym - If you've paid for a gym membership and feel you need to get the most of it, go in and get on a stationary bike. They are the least scary when it comes to machines. While you're on the bike look around and understand that everyone out there was where you are right now. Also realize that some still have no clue what they are doing. When you are ready to step onto the fitness floor and start weight training, find a friend that you trust (I will be your friend), a staff member/trainer, or even someone in the gym that looks like they know what they're doing and ask for help. The gym is filled with egos. If you tell someone "you look like you know what you're doing in here, can you show me how to use this machine?", I almost guarantee that they will bend over backwards to help you.
Make sure you learn these 3 machines for the most basic Total Body Routine:
- Lat Pull Down - works your back and biceps.
- Chest Press - works your chest and triceps.
- Leg Press - works your lower body.
If you implement these 5 rules I guarantee that you will be well on your way to meeting your fitness goals. When this is your new "normal" then you can begin branching out to add in other forms of exercise and further cleaning up your nutrition.
The right personal trainer will make you feel at ease. You will trust that they will comfortably work you into your workout regimen. If you are ever feel like you are being rushed into something communicate that to your trainer, if they do not respond in a way that comforts you, give me a call! I've been deemed the "Nicest Personal Trainer", but this nice trainer also gets results!!
Please share this with anyone that may benefit. Stay happy, get healthy!!